Transfer news LIVE as Arsenal complete £30m Granit Xhaka switch plus latest done deals
The domestic football season is all but over, which means the transfer window is almost among us. We’ll bring you all the latest gossip, rumours and done deals
Key Events So Far
Friday’s transfer news – live!
For all the latest transfer news from the Premier League and beyond, check out Friday’s blog…
Batshuayi “attracted” to Premier League
Tottenham and West Ham target Michy Batshuayi admits he is “attracted” to the Premier League.
But Marseille’s Belgian striker, 22, won’t decide on his future until after the Euros.
Courtois talks about his future
Thibaut Courtois has half-heartedly committed his future to Chelsea, claiming he will stay at the club as long as “nothing strange happens”.
Real Madrid have been linked with a big money bid for the 24-year-old goalkeeper, who endured a disappointing season between the sticks at Stamford Bridge.
Chelsea confident of winning Lukaku race
Chelsea are confident of beating Manchester United to Romelu Lukaku.
The Blues’ incoming new boss Antonio Conte wants the £65million-rated Everton striker to spearhead his revolution at Stamford Bridge.
It would be an incredible about-turn for the Londoners, who sold Lukaku to the Toffees for £28m in July 2014 and would now have to pay more than double that figure to get him back.
Sterling fearing for future
Raheem Sterling is fearing for his Manchester City future due to a crisis of confidence over his form at the Etihad.
The England winger was said to be ‘distraught’ after coming off during the Three Lions’ 2-1 friendly victory over Turkey on Sunday.
Sterling will be given a chance to rediscover his best in Friday’s friendly international against Australia, but has claimed he has been robbed of his rhythm and belief since joining City from Liverpool last summer in a £47million transfer.
Sterling believes that the ‘two-touch’ style of football he has been encouraged to play under Manuel Pellegrini – which is likely to become even more pronounced under new City boss Pep Guardiola – does not suit his natural game, especially his ability to run at opposition defenders.
Depay fuelling exit talk?
Manchester United winger Memphis Depay has admitted his lack of first-team football at Old Trafford has left him ‘p****d off’.
The Dutchman struggled to put a run of games together under Louis van Gaal, enduring a dismal first campaign at the Theatre of Dreams.
He managed only two goals in 29 Premier League appearances, despite scoring 22 times in 30 Eredivisie games for PSV Eindhoven in the previous campaign.
Depay will get the chance to play under a new manager if he remains at United, with Jose Mourinho replacing Van Gaal.
Luton youngster pens new deal
Luton striker Zane Banton has penned a new deal at Kenilworth Road.
The 20-year-old has penned a one-year contract with the option for a further 12 months thereafter.
He was included in the first-team squad for seven of the Hatters’ last eight matches of the season.
Mourinho’s Transfer plans: 5 ins and 5 outs at Old Trafford
Jose Mourinho is on his way back to the Premier League.
Louis van Gaal appeared to confirm his time was up at Manchester United telling reporters on Sunday “it’s over” as talk about his impending exit from Old Trafford intensifies.
Mourinho is the next ‘Chosen One’ and will follow the Dutchman with the Portuguese’s superagent Jorge Mendes said to be jetting in this week.
So as the Mourinho era edges ever closer it’s time to look at just what his Manchester United team will look like.
As ever when a new manager comes in there’s likely to be plenty of movement, both in and out.
Sky: Jose Mourinho appointed manager
According to Sky Sports, Jose Mourinho has been APPOINTED as the new Manchester United manager.
Still no confirmation from elsewhere.
It has been inching closer and closer throughout the day, with only a few standing issues regarding the contract.
Alves deal set to be announced
The Brazilian full-back will exercise an option in his contract, signed last summer, that will see him walk away from the Nou Camp on a free transfer.
33-year-old Alves will be presented as a Juve player after the Copa America, but will first be afforded a farewell by the Spanish champions in recognition of the service he has provided to the club.
Aleix Vidal was bought from Sevilla last summer as the long-term replacement for Alves, but has struggled since his January debut.
Steve Evans: I just need closure
Current Leeds United boss Steve Evans has asked owner Massimo Cellino to put him out of his misery at Leeds United.
Cellino has still NOT sacked Evans – despite publicly talking about his pursuit for Bristol Rovers boss Darrell Clarke.
And now Evans has seemingly had enough.
“After lots of press calls and a further meeting with my advisors it is very obvious the time has arrived for Mr Cellino to tell me I am not his head coach for next season.
“Out of respect for this great football club’s history, and to the Leeds United supporters, I’ll take that decision with good grace. This is a special club. It should have standards of excellence in everything it does.
“The task is huge next season. The Championship is stronger than the one about to conclude at Wembley (with the play-off final) on Saturday.
“In my opinion for the team to be successful next season the squad needs significantly strengthened in many key departments – this alongside ensuring our brightest young talents are secured for some years.
“Anyone not thinking that does not understand the challenge ahead. I presented these views to Mr Cellino just prior to the end of the season.
“I now need to accept that I open my mind up to other options for my career. Obviously I now need to know the direction of my career. In summary, I just need closure.”
Ajax forward confirms impending move
Viktor Fischer has confirmed that he is set to leave Ajax for Middlesbrough.
The Danish forward is set to join the newly-promoted side for £4million from the Dutch giants.
Speaking to Danish channel TV2 Sport, Fischer has declared:
It’s really gone fast. It came last week, and we’ve been over there once and looking at it and talking back and forth.
And then I was over there again yesterday,
It’s the greatest league in the world and I feel really ready. I feel that I am part of it now.
Gini Wijnaldum is questioning his future
Newcastle United’s top scorer last season, Gini Wijnaldum is evaluating his future, according to the player’s agent.
And he believes his client would be keen on a move to Italian side Roma, declaring them “a great club.”
“Wijnaldum’s situation right now is very simple,” the midfielder’s agent, Humphrey Nijman, told RomaNews.
“Newcastle have been relegated to the second division, so now the player has to think about his future.
“At the moment I can’t say any more, and I can’t talk about negotiations. Roma are a great club, one of the best in Europe.
“How much would he cost? I can’t answer that, it’s the club that decides a player’s price.
“I only take care of Wijnaldum’s contract.”
Crew sign veteran striker Ryan Lowe
Lower league hitman Ryan Lowe has moved to Crewe!
The veteran striker, now 37, had been at Bury most lately.
He’s now signed a one-year deal at Gresty Road.
Los Cules have their first summer signing
Barcelona have completed their first signing of the summer by securing a deal for promising Colombian defender Davinson Sanchez.
The 19-year-old centre-back arrives in Spain from Atletico Nacional, who have just booked their place in the Copa Libertadores semi-finals against Brazilian giants Sao Paulo.
Davinson, as he is more commonly known, has played in midfield but is viewed as a long-term project in the centre of defence.
He will play next season with Barcelona’s B team but, it is hoped, will train with the first-team squad as Luis Enrique looks to fast-track him through the ranks.
The deal to take the defender from Colombia to Catalunya is around €3.5million (£2.8million) and will be announced shortly by the club.
Another Italian escape for Balo?
Sampdoria are interested in Mario Balotelli – but do not want to pay Liverpool for the Kop flop.
AC Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi has confirmed they will not buy back Balotelli after selling him to Liverpool for £16million in 2014 and that he is returning to Anfield now that his loan spell has ended.
The former Manchester City striker, who has been left out of Italy’s Euro 2016 squad, must find a new club because he has no future at Anfield and Sampdoria are keen.
However the Serie A side want Liverpool to either let Balotelli join them on loan or release him.
Sheridan’s Oldham exit
Oldham Athletic expect to lose manager John Sheridan to Notts County, reports the Oldham Chronicle.
It’s believed compensation for the 51-year-old has been agreed between the two clubs.
While Notts are a league below the Latics, it’s believed that they will be working with a bigger budget next season, as they look to mount a promotion push.
And that has been enough to entice Sheridan to Meadow Lane.
Wolfsburg won’t countenance ex-Chelsea man’s departure
Wolfsburg have no interest in letting Andre Schurrle leave this summer.
The ex-Chelsea man has been linked with a move to Borussia Dortmund, after a difficult season at the Volkswagen Arena.
But the Wolves aren’t interested in parting with the German international.
“I don’t even want to open the door even a bit,” sporting executive Klaus Allofs told Kicker.
“We have clearly said that we will not sell Andre.”
Barcelona keen on Bellerin as Alves replacement
Mascherano’s switch has been quickly denied, and the Argentine would appear to be trying to jump the queue for contract renewals.
Barcelona are not worried by the Masche situation for now as he is under contract, but Dani Alves boasts a clause in his deal that would allow him to leave for free this summer.
That is altogether more worrying for the double winners, and with little power to stop the full-back they have already begun the process of considering replacements.
Leeds closing in on Bristol Rovers boss Darrell Clarke
Massimo Cellino has promised Leeds fans he will not mess up this time as he closes in on Bristol Rovers manager Darrell Clarke.
Leeds are negotiating a £250,000 compensation package with Rovers for Clarke as Cellino decides on his seventh head coach in two years.
And the controversial Leeds owner and chairman says his choice will win over the disillusioned supporters who want him out.
“For the first time in England, I have a lot of good managers willing to come to us at Leeds United,” said Cellino.
“I have a good feeling. I cannot make a mistake this time! My players need someone special.
“After all the things the fans have said about me, now they will start to understand. Next year, we’ll play football.”
Nigel Pearson heading to the Rams?
Nigel Pearson has been heavily-linked with Aston Villa.
But now there’s big speculation he could be heading elsewhere.
One bookmaker has him at 1-3 to be the next boss of Derby County.
Carlos Carvalhal reveals length of new deal
Sheffield Wednesday boss Carlos Carvalhal has been speaking ahead of this Saturday’s Play-off final.
And the Portuguese has revealed that his new deal at Hillsborough is for three years.
He’s also declared himself proud of his work this term with the Owls.
I’m proud and very happy with what we are doing and the way we are doing it.
The fans are happy and that is most important
Rovers interview Man United U-21 boss Warren Joyce
Blackburn have interviewed Manchester United’s Under-21 boss Warren Joyce about their vacant manager’s job.
Blackburn’s owners Venky’s are impressed by Joyce’s track record at United and he has won three Under-21 Premier League titles in four years.
Joyce, 51, whose dad Walter played 135 games for Rovers in the 1960s, has also helped bring through talents like Marcus Rashford at Old Trafford.
His future at United is uncertain because of Jose Mourinho’s imminent arrival and the Portuguese may offer Ryan Giggs his job to make way for right-hand man Rui Faria to become his No 2.
Blackburn are also considering Neil Redfearn, Alan Stubbs and Neil Warnock.
Down in League One
One for Shrewsbury Town fans.
Salop are set to complete the signing of Port Vale’s Louis Dodds.
Dodds, 29, has rejected terms on a new contract to stay at Vale Park and is set to move to Greenhous Meadow.
He has spent eight years with Vale, scoring 56 goals in 332 games.
Who will be the next Everton manager? Not Lucien Favre
Favre says he was on Everton’s shortlist to succeed the sacked Roberto Martinez and he led Borussia Monchengladbach into the Champions League last season for the first time in 37 years.
But the Swiss says he accepted the Nice job because he did not want to hang around waiting for Blues to make a decision.
“I know that I was on Everton’s shortlist, but I didn’t want to wait any more.”
Sevilla president Jose Castro claims Everton can also forget about their coach Unai Emery and he insists he will not be leaving the Europa League holders.
“I can tell you he has said he is not on the market, and is not thinking about anything else,” said Castro.
Ibrahimovic: I have made my choice
Zlatan Ibrahimovic says he has made his decision over where he will ply his trade next season.
The Swede has left PSG on a free transfer ahead of this summer’s Euro 2016.
The player has declared that he has offers from all across the globe – including England and Italy.
“I have concrete offers from England, Italy, from all countries” says Zlatan, speaking at a press conference today.
“The future is already written. I have made my choice.”
However, he is keeping that choice to himself.
Ibrahimovic also offered his take on Jose Mourinho’s move to Manchester United – one of the clubs heavily linked with his signature.
“It’s a great move. If you want action, you bring in Mourinho.
“I have missed working with Mourinho every day since I left Inter.”